View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #79 (permalink)
t-ray
Base Member

Drives: 05 g sedan 6mt
t-ray is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg370z View Post
hmmmmm... perhaps it is the 7AT but in MANUAL MODE!!! oh no, now what, it's some sort of freak of a transmission, what do we classify this as??? 7AT MM???

we could have 3 sets of 0-60 times, one for 6MT, one for 7AT, and one for 7AT MM...

Maybe putting the 7AT in manual mode is like when Sylvester Stallone turns his hat backwards in "Over the Top".

I'm just kidding of course. This thread is halarious, and the best part is other car forums are talking about this too. I "googled" it, and found a Subaru forum having the same debate regarding the 370z... this is great.
I think this is quite an interesting discussion - academically of course. I don't dispute the fact that stock for stock, the 7at might show slightly quicker ET's than the manual counterpart. The 7at has more aggressive final gearing in the first four gears, the only gears that will be used all-motor. The 7at won't put down as much power to the ground as the 6mt, but the difference would be offset by the shorter gearing. And the 7at will just flat out launch better, with more consistency.

However, the 7at will not out-trap the 6mt. Not gonna happen. Not stock.