View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #38 (permalink)
djohnson1967
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370z 40th
djohnson1967 is on a distinguished road
Default New Install

I installed the AE Performance oil cooler kit on my 40th Anniversary edition this past weekend. I will post a couple thoughts and a couple pictures.

The Good:
This kit seems to work great! I live in Tucson, so cooling is critical. I was previously running about 225 degrees on average. Getting up to 250-255 just driving around town was not unusual. Now after the install, I am right at 180 degrees while driving steady on the highway. It gets up to 190-195 when driving in town. That is a nice improvement and I now feel more confident taking it to the track. I will let you all know how that goes.

AE Performance is great to work with. Before ordering I spoke with Casey at length on the phone. Also, when packing my kit, they noticed a very small ding on the cooler core and called me to make sure it was OK to send it. They even gave me a small discount and the damage was hardly noticeable.

The kit is very high quality.

Installation was not that hard. I installed the Stillen Gen 3 CAI at the same time and the whole job took me and a buddy about 6 hours (with a lunch break).

The "not so good":

The kit does not come with any instructions. It is a fairly straightforward install I suppose, but I always have a few questions on the details. I am sure Casey or someone at AE would have been more than happy to talk me through it on the phone, but I think a kit like this should have some pretty good, detailed instructions included. I am not sure what we did before the internet. Postings by other members is ultimately the only thing that gave me the confidence to try this. Without this forum, I couldn't have even gotten the front bumper cover off!

One of the hoses included in the kit for relocating the power steering cooler was way too short. I had to go to the auto parts store and buy another hose. I suppose I may have relocated the power steering cooler differently than AE intended, but without instructions, who knows?

In addition to the small ding on the cooler core, there were paint chips on the mounting bracket.

I relocated the outside temperature sensor to get it away from the heat of the power steering cooler and the oil cooler. However, it is still reading about 15-20 degrees too high. Not a big deal, but I will try another spot for it next time I feel like taking the bumper cover off.

Overall, these are small complaints and I am very happy overall with the product quality, AE's service and the performance of the modification.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tornapart.jpg (487.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg cooler.jpg (395.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg cai.jpg (425.7 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by djohnson1967; 07-28-2010 at 11:14 AM.
djohnson1967 is offline   Reply With Quote