View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #72 (permalink)
wellarmed
Base Member

Drives: 09 370Z
wellarmed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-ray View Post
105mph for an auto - I'll buy. 106mph... maybe. In excellent conditions. But 108mph is just not realistic. 108mph and 106mph are a long way away - 2mph in the big end is a huge difference.

The only way a mag is gonna get 108mph out of this car is if they were testing 1400 feet instead of 1320, and that 108mph was measured at the very end. In the real world, there isn't going to be a single 7AT 370z driven from the showroom floor to any legit 1/4 track in this country and average 108ph over the last 66 feet of the track.

I haven't driven the 370z yet, but I've had my VQ35DE down the 1/4 over 300 times. My wife has done it over 100 times, and probably close to 50 times in her HR.

I agree that 2 mph is a big diff. Being passed by another car at the finish line that is going 2 mph faster doesn't leave any doubt as to who's in charge at that moment.

My only point is (and I have thousands of quarter mile passes in everything from 13 seconds to 7 seconds), weather and track conditions could account for such a difference. If legit 106 mph runs have been made at a density altitude of 2000' (which is probably about average and would certainly not be considered undesirable) and the 108 mph run was made at a sea level/60* temp with a 10mph tailwind... there's your difference.

I don't recall that the people doing this 13.1/108 performance stated exactly what the conditions were or where they actually performed their test so I agree that's a consideration to question.
They also just rounded off those numbers so was it a 107.51 rounded up? I will say that those numbers do match up correctly assuming about a 1.9 60'.

I don't want to sound like I think that these cars are going to be laying down 108 mph runs on a regular basis. I guess my point is... just because somebody may have done it, doesn't mean that there's some kind of fairy dusting monkey business going on.

I will agree however that the validity of all these different test results are open to question concerning just how they were measuring the numbers. I actually don't believe any of these 0-60 numbers as being truely accurate. 60' times on a drag strip...yes. 0-60 mph measured in tenths of a sec.... no.

If these quarter mile times were done on a NHRA cert drag strip using the same equipment that would be used at a sanctioned race, then there isn't any room for argument. On the other hand.... if the guy was just looking at the speedo....