View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 12:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
TamZ
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2011 Mercedes GL 350
TamZ is just really niceTamZ is just really niceTamZ is just really niceTamZ is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmacist View Post
sounds incredibly high! did you check the oil and coolant levels? maybe you are low on one or both? what did the water temp gauge say? i know it's not very accurate but did it read high too?
Coolant temps were fine/normal. That's what was weird to me. I don't normally watch the oil gauge all that much because it's not like I drive the thing very fast. Coolant/temp gauge was a few dots below the middle, as usual. The oil temp gauge was almost always over 220 the entire trip..and up to just one line below 260. Even on my trip home, today..the oil temps read over 220 nearly the whole way home until I got closer to Valencia and the temps air temp dipped down to the 80's.

Car drove fine, didn't act up or differently. I just noticed the gauge. And I too thought 240-260 was high but wasn't sure. Husband checked my oil and coolant before I left. The service guy told me that at the high air temps the "oil breaks down".

Honestly, I know nothing about oil, and my husband was 100's of miles away. And if I'm still being honest, he doesn't know much about this car. LOL.