View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #70 (permalink)
t-ray
Base Member

Drives: 05 g sedan 6mt
t-ray is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellarmed View Post
There have been a couple of new owner/forum participants here with little to no drag strip experience, simply drive out to their local track and record 13.3/105+mph numbers.
They even scanned and showed their time slips. These aren't fantasy performances. That being said... I don't see how a (albeit steller) lone performance of 13.1@108 is "impossible".
The 13.3s at 106 have been documented. That's a fact and if you factor it in, another -.2 sec/+2mph is in the range of just being a everything came together event as far as track and weather conditions.
Anybody with alot of actual drag racing experience knows how much of a factor track conditions can make. Huge. And when it all comes together it can be surprising.
I do not expect that this kind of performance is going to be the norm but there are just too many variables to compare tests that weren't even done on the same track under the same conditions and by different people.

I think rather than argue what is possible or not... just wait and see. I believe that simple bolt-on intake and exhaust mods have the rear wheel dyno numbers over 300 and the real world performance capabilities of these cars will start to show up pretty quickly now that spring is here and some of these are starting to go to the local tracks.
105mph for an auto - I'll buy. 106mph... maybe. In excellent conditions. But 108mph is just not realistic. 108mph and 106mph are a long way away - 2mph in the big end is a huge difference.

The only way a mag is gonna get 108mph out of this car is if they were testing 1400 feet instead of 1320, and that 108mph was measured at the very end. In the real world, there isn't going to be a single 7AT 370z driven from the showroom floor to any legit 1/4 track in this country and average 108ph over the last 66 feet of the track.

I haven't driven the 370z yet, but I've had my VQ35DE down the 1/4 over 300 times. My wife has done it over 100 times, and probably close to 50 times in her HR.