View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 09:38 AM   #61 (permalink)
Lug
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2006 350Z
Lug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellarmed View Post
You also might want to consider how much hp the Vette was actually making. Does anyone here think that GM in 1999 wouldn't pump up the numbers to increase sales. GM doesn't exactly have a track record of honesty when it comes to..... well.......anything
In other words......... maybe the Vette wasn't making that much hp and todays Z actually makes as much or more than that Vette really did. Which would explain how in this case, it is possible for the car with the 'lower numbers' to be faster.
Quarter mile and rated hp numbers have always been more important to GM when it comes to selling a American hotrod like the Vette or Camaro. I would question GMs numbers before I would question what came up on the timers when a independent tester ran it at the track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguez View Post
It's possible. I have read that Nissan claims the GT-R's engine (new engine design and Nissan's mentality of marketing) will make "at least 480 hp". Top Gear reported that one of the American auto magazines (they don't mention which) benched their GT-R engine and measured 507 hp at the flywheel. Who knows if that's true or not, but an interesting story. Can anyone (MC, maybe you?) corroborate that?
If you look at real world dyno results (that vary widely, of course) you will see that the vette averages around 300 hp stock and over 300ft/lb of torque. We haven't seen that on the 370. (more like 260 to 275 hp and significantly less torque). There would have to be some really fancy gearing that no other manufacturer had ever figured out to make up for such a large difference. I can understand how the WRX's and the like do the 0-60 times they get, but these are both rear drive vehicles. The quarter mile numbers are even more far-fetched.