View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #34 (permalink)
Mergnthwirker
Base Member

Drives: '09 370Z PW MT6 S
Mergnthwirker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaZ View Post
I know there's a few guys here who are hardcore trackday hotshoes and racers, but I suspect that most forum denizens are living vicariously through those few that actually go to the track and are regurgitating things they read here.
I also think that the 370Z is built more than adequately for street duty and a lot of people unnecessarily have their panties all in a bunch over brake and oil temperature issues that really only affect people driving on the track.

So, answer the poll honestly so I can see if my hunch is right or wrong.
Does Autocrossing count as taking it to the track? I took mine autocrossing last summer (when it was new ~2500 mi). I DID see extremely high temps, but did not go into limp mode. If I Autocrossed regularly, I'd put in an oil cooler.

Frankly, I think most of the temp discussions is hysteria. At the time, as a new owner, I was concerned. The guage read higher oil temps than I see in my twin turbo Audi when autocrossing it (BTW, it sucks compared to the Z).

So I agree with your overall conclusion that the Z is just fine for any kind of street driving, but also think some judicious upgrades are desirable for light track duty. And if you regularly track, then brake upgrades, brake cooling, trans cooler, diff cooler, etc. all make sense as reliability mods.

Just my $.02
Mergnthwirker is offline   Reply With Quote