Thread: wstar's Journal
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #47 (permalink)
miguez
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '04 Cavalier
miguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstar View Post
Are you talking about Cipher from UpRev? When they finally release their 370Z stuff, I'm planning to set up a laptop with Cipher+Osiris from them for tuning and detailed datalogging, BCM access, etc, etc. The Magden unit is more for use while driving, so I can keep a better eye on some of the ECU stats that we don't have (good) gauges for stock, and set limit alerts, etc. AFAIK the magden already works pretty well from what I've read on forums, etc. They're still releasing new software updates as they go though, to enable more features.
Yep, that's what i was talking about. I am considering having a small laptop permanently hooked to the car, maybe tucked in somewhere, with a remote screen mounted so that I could have the desired parameters a fingertip touch away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstar View Post
As for screens, Magden recommends and sells a 7" Lilliput touchscreen that works with their unit. For touch input, it needs to be USB (basically mouse/trackball/tablet emulation). What I'd really like to be able to figure out, is how to get a single touch screen with a decent GPS and the magden hooked up, both using the touch interface (switch between the two). Really, I could do that with the recommended Lilliput display and a VGA/USB switch, except I haven't found any decent headless GPS units that have USB touchscreen input... Someday I'll do some googling and get this sorted out.
You know, with a little code writing one could create their own interface to display GPS data. I was working on something similar a while back, using GPS and accelerometer data. It would be up to Magden to allow us to interface their data into our own graphics. Wouldn't that be cool? Totally something I am willing to explore if you're interested. If we do go that route, by the way, there are some amazing GPS receivers we could use, some that work off of reflective signals so they work even indoors. One I recall was tested inside a mall, and worked all the way through. Precision goes down, but still very acceptable. This same GPS worked very well when it's antenna was located underneath the driver's seat!

Anyways, sounds like an awesome project.
miguez is offline   Reply With Quote