View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 09:14 PM   #21 (permalink)
LinPark
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
LinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to LinPark Send a message via Skype™ to LinPark

I've gotten some comments on the pictures in my Albums section and wanted to post up some before pictures so people can see exactly how bad things were on this car before I even started detailing it - these swirls stood out worst of all outdoors in the sun - they were not easy to see while the car was in the garage but working out in the sun in 100+ temps wasn't really an option.

The first 2 pics are of the rear spoiler area and the marks you see here were pretty much all over the car - the light just had to hit the panel the right way and you would see swirl city:

This next pic is of the front passenger side - at this point I had already finished the correction on the hood so it really shows the difference between the 2 surfaces:

Here is a shot of the hood before it was corrected - note what looks like a spider web spreading out from the bright center of the spotlight I was using:

And finally a shot of the front fascia before correction - if you look just below the bright spot you'll see the swirls in the paint - again, this was taken after the correction to the hood so you don't see any swirls above the bright spot:

If your car has marks like this on it, you can fix them. It will be extremely difficult and time consuming to do it by hand. I would recommend some sort of orbital polisher (I used the Porter Cable 7424XP but there are many other options) and a mild polishing compound (I used Adam's Swirl & Haze Remover followed by Adam's Fine Machine Polish but again there are many other options). Some of these marks cleaned up in just a few minutes and other sections literally took me hours to perfect because it all depends on how bad the damage really is. The best part is that as long as I clean this car properly going forward, I shouldn't have to invest that amount of time again to achieve the same results.
LinPark is offline   Reply With Quote