View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 11:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
antennahead
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '07 Z4 "M" Roadster
antennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryK View Post
I'm upgrading my stock system with 6.5 components, amp and a subwoofer. I figure 8" is plenty for this car and my music preference. I wanted to keep the spare tire, so I looked for a sub with minimum box volume requirements. The 8" JL W6 only needs .375 cubic feet, so I fashioned a round box that fits down in the spare tire. It's 15" in diameter by 4.5" or so tall. I used a round tub I found at Lowes for a vessel to set dimensions for the fiberglass sides, the top and bottom are 5/8" MDF. I used epoxy resin with two thicknesses of mat and cloth. Epoxy resin is expensive, but it's strong and doesn't have that resin smell of the others. The carpet can go over the top, but I may cut it out and put a grill on it. Still working on the rest, hopefully it will be installed in two weeks.
A quick question. Is the top of your enclosure wide enough diameter wise to house one of the JL thinlines? The 13TW5 needs about 13 inches, the 12TW5 isn't listed on the websit yet, but probably needs about 12". The depth of these subs is only 2.5", and have gotten some good reviews. Thanks.

John
antennahead is offline   Reply With Quote