View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 04:53 PM   #52 (permalink)
Hi-Step'n370Z
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '10ZR S/B AT Tour NV
Hi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
I think we really need a good sort of DIY guide on jacking the car and using jack stands. This sort of question seems to come up quite a bit.
Excellent idea! There's a tutorial in the owners manual, but pic's are worth 1,000 owners manual sketches.

And bye the way, I don't think that the comment about 'wear your goggles' was meant as a joke. Let's not forget about our eyes.

Whether it's chemical, metal shavings, or just plain dirt, it's worth it to protect our eyes. Better quality goggles are worth the extra money, anti fog (somewhat), scratch resistant, and usually more comfortable/better visibility.

Many years ago, when I was at the age that I felt bullet proof, I almost lost both hands while changing a tire on uneven ground. The car shifted, the jack fell over and the rear quarter came down like a shot. The fender was like an axe. It came down on top of the de-mounted tire I was removing from the wheel and just missed chopping off both hands, or pinning me at the wrists, by maybe 1/8 of an inch. It happened so fast, I didn't know how my hands got out of there in time. I think the truth of it all was that I was just lucky. Nobody can think and react fast enough to avoid something like that.

My heart goes out to that poor fellow and his family. To me, that's so tragic. A guy working on the car he loves, doing what he loves, and something like that had to happen to him.
Hi-Step'n370Z is offline   Reply With Quote