View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 02:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
SoCal 370Z
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Answers
SoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmike2780 View Post
Are you psychic? There were in fact two guys changing the tires. One guy removing the tire and another balancing. It also looks like they used a flathead screwdriver to pry off the old balancing weights.
I hate it when someone else removes the wheels as they usually see their job as the bottom of the totem pole and they are not careful with the rims when they roll them over to the tire changer. I've seen dumb-a$$es let rims fall on their face-side, fall against another rim, or both.

Since where I go for tires is only about two miles from my house I remove all the rim weights; clean and remove all weight adhesive and remove any wax on the inner rim; remove all tire shine product, before getting new tires. If you have the luxury it is best to dismount the wheels, and do the following:
  • Completely clean the outer and inner sides of the wheel assembly. Remove all tire shine products as they are both slippery and nasty so shop personnel hate those aspects of handling wheels.
  • Tire valves, or at the very least, any o-rings that need replacing will be handled differently if they are not racing to remove and replace your wheels.
  • This gives you a chance to wax the inside of the rims before mounting them back on your vehicle.
  • But, the biggest benefit is that you can see whether they screwed-up anything on the rims more easily (and they know this).