Thread: 370 vs 135
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 02:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
initialgemini
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2011 FX 35
initialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvfreakazoid View Post
When they tested the 370 and 135 bmw, they were practically the same (0 to 60, quarter mile, braking and whatever else), you would think the 370 would do a little better due to having more hp than the 135. Is it the power to weight ratio or is it because the bimmer is turboed or does the bimmer get more power at lower rpm's or a combo of all of them?

My second question is, is it better to get more power in the lower rpm's or highter? What are the disadvantage and the advantage?
I asked this because the 370 needs to get really high in the rpm's to get the most power. Thanks.
If you want to bench race the two, the 135 and the 370Z have near identical acceleration times from 0-60, travel time to come to complete stop (the 135 has 6 piston brakes), and similar peak HP and TQ numbers.

However, the 370Z is said, according to several magazine reviews, to take the cake in skid pad tests and track times.

So lets compare the engines. The N54 is a beast of an engine. The stock power band on that engine is near linear. It responds very well to mods. For a twin turbo engine, its a doesn't have a problem with turbo lag and both turbos spool very quickly. Keep in mind, at stock settings the boost is only at 6psi which is fairly conservative for a twin turbo engine.

The VQ37HR is an NA engine. great power band as well. At this point it comes to drivers preference. Do you like the feel of a turbo car or NA. Rule of thumb goes that turbo cars have great high end power. If you take a look at some turbo dyno queens, the powerbands look like linear graphs. However, NA engines are known for having instantaneous power on tap. A well tuned NA car can do probably do circles around a typical "dyno queen" turbo engine powered car.

I've test drove both cars. You're not really gonna feel the difference comparing low ends of the car. If this is your daily driver, you don't want something that snaps your neck every time you accelerate from a stop light, or seem like its gonna launch into the car in front of you in stop and go traffic. Neither of these will do it.
My only gripe with the 135 was this: The 135 has a shorter wheel base than the 370. It also doesn't sit as low as the 370. This causes it to fall below in handling performance than the 370. Comparing the drive between the two, I personally enjoyed the ride in the 370. It felt more sports oriented, exhilarating, and more willing to slighshot around corners.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I hope this helps.
initialgemini is offline   Reply With Quote