View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 08:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Jeffblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Z32TT & 335xi Coupe
Jeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRFAN View Post
Compression, compression, compression

All factory turbo motors like the RB and SR series run low compression at around 8:1 which is ideal for forced induction. The VQ like in our 370'z is a non turbo motor, so it makes power by running really high compression at 11:1 and clever variable valve lift and duration. This is not ideal for forced induction, as the high compression doesn't leave much room for increased boost and becomes difficult to tune and avoid pre-detonation. Heat is the enemy of compression. A full teardown and rebuild is the only real option to drop the compression which is costly...

It's also a LOT easier to fit large turbos to a straight motor rather than a V motor from an engine bay space perspctive.

No one really does this as the RB26 is a stronger motor out of the factory...and the fact GTR's run intelligent 4WD makes them one the best value for money street drag cars ever. My old R32 GTR ran in the 11's on street tyres and stock turbos with just minor upgrades.

The 2JZGTE from the Supra is also a ball tearer of a motor for big boost.

my 2c worth
Thanks for the info... I was just driving along the other day, thinking about potential mods. Instead of doing bolt ons etc now, i figured i'd keep my car stock for a few years and just enjoy it for what it is. Then once i need another, more practical car for every day use, i figure i'd turn it into my project car, and do a turbo build. In a few years, we'll know what kits, and what methods are the best with our engines, but then i started thinking. Would it be better to have the VQ37 built up to be able to withstand a lot of boost, or would it just be better to do a swap for an rb26dett and then go from there, knowing already that the motor can take it.
Jeffblue is offline   Reply With Quote