Thread: Rev Limiter
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Hi-Step'n370Z
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '10ZR S/B AT Tour NV
Hi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rev Limiter

This was inadvertently mentioned on another thread, but I wanted to bring this specific subject front and center, so I am posting it here.

Regarding the Rev Limiter:

As appreciated and explained by m4a1mustang;

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
If you are accelerating and forget to shift on time, yes, the limiter will kick in and keep you from over revving the engine. The limiter, however, will not save your butt if you accidentally shift from second to first instead of third.
Got it! Thanks.

On this thread, I want to specifically address this happening with the 7 speed auto:

It would seem that when you're cruising at highway speed, then slide over to manual mode, and your in 7th, or maybe 6th, the gear you're in would not change, but it DOES. It does not simply change to manual mode, and stay in the gear you were presently in before switching over to manual.

At normal highway speeds, it always goes to 5th gear the moment you slide over to manual. I do not know if you are already in 5th, and you switch over, what gear you're in, but I will gently try it and find out.

My point here is that if you "think" you're still in 7th, but you're really in 6th, or maybe even 5th, and you want to down shift into say 3rd, but you're not looking at the gear indicator window, and the tach at the same time, and pop the shifter 3 times, BOOM -you're all the way down to 2nd, and have revved well into the red line zone in a millisecond!

Talk about getting caught off guard! What a surprise that is.

Since this is something I do not want to replicate to find out, I instead have just been very careful and aware when I switch over to manual mode, and down shift.

When this happened, I have found is there is an instant decrease in power, and an intermittent surging of the engine. That is what I thought was the rev limiter doing it's job.

The scary part is that you're already into red line when that happens, but I don't think you're in far enough or long enough to do any damage to the engine, and the engine won't let you continue to accelerate thanks to the rev limiter.

Since this is something I do not want to replicate to find out, I instead have just been very careful and aware when I switch over to manual mode, and down shift.

To me, the answer was to "learn the Z" and practice by really watching the gear window, and note the speed you're traveling at the time of down shift.

Has anyone experienced this with the 7 speed auto?

What's the opinion regarding this down shifting scenario, and also the possible engine damage as the result?

Also, will the rev limiter save the engine because of the short time in red line?
Hi-Step'n370Z is offline   Reply With Quote