View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
spearfish25
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: to work
spearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to spearfish25
Default Brake Pad Reviews

So much for the new Google Search feature. I can't find a decent review of Hawk HPS pads for the life of me. Given that pad selection is a common question, let's make a consolidated thread here. I'll kick it off, but someone please post a nice review of Hawk HPS and HP+ pads. I'm also considering Carbotech's autoX pads, but they're about $100 more than the HPS and $50 more than the HP+ pads.

Stock Sport Pads:
Overall: Fine for everyday driving, would pass for auotX, not a good idea for track use
Initial Bite: terrible, my wife's Altima has better initial bite
Stopping power: fine...once you push the pedal very hard
Fade: they will fade out on track, should be fine for street use
Dust: Relatively none, rims stay clean a very long time
Noise: Silent

Carbotech XP10/8
Overall: Very aggressive feel and bite, ideal for track use, compromises daily driving livability
Initial Bite: Incredible! Will put you through the windshield the first time you try them.
Stopping power: Excellent, requires much less brake pedal force to get high levels of braking power
Fade: Haven't experienced it yet with these pads
Dust: Lots, plan on cleaning your rims after any events and probably twice a week if you use them on the street
Noise: Very squeaky. Given the slight brake pad/rotor contact at all times, you'll even get occasional squeaking while driving along at a constant speed.

Ok, come on Hawk users...