Thread: fuel gauge woes
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2010, 05:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
houkouonchi
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '14 GT-R '10 M6 370z
houkouonchi has a spectacular aura abouthoukouonchi has a spectacular aura about
Default fuel gauge woes

I just got a brand-new 2010 370z. It had 8 miles on it when I got it. I am now a little bit worried as I have seen some weird behavior with the fuel gauge.

The first time I got gas was just after the light came on and it got down to the last two dots. I got gas shortly after this happened and put 16.8 gallons of gas in the car.

The second time was again when it go to two dots and I waited a bit longer this time and put 17.2 gallons of gas in it.

This all seemed normal. Well flash forward to just yesterday. My car has 1100 miles on it. I was driving from one data center near LAX airport to our other one in downtown Los Angeles. Right as I was leaving the one in LAX the gas light came on. I figured I could go ahead and wing it until I got to downtown and then later on my way home go to a gas station that was out of expensive L.A. (about 28-30 miles from where I was at that point). The DTE was at 60 miles.

So I drive to downtown and surprisingly in only 16 miles the gas went down to 1 dot just before reacing my destination. This was quite odd as It was almost completely highway and I got around 24 MPG. I figure its nothing to worry about but after I finish up my shift and start the car I see the DTE is now --. Another 2 minutes when I am leaving the parking lot all the sudden the car goes to 0 dots (not even registering anymore). This got me quite worried as the last two dots went away in less than 20 miles when I had almost put that much on before after letting it go a bit after two dots in the past and it never even got to one.

So I decide to go to the nearest gas station that is downtown L.A. and pay 25 cents more per gallon. It wasn't worth it to make another trip to a gas station so I took the $3-4 hit and filled up the tank.

Now this is where it is weird, it only took 16.8 gallons to fill up the tank. Wtf? It was on 2 dots before and I put 17.2 gallons in it and this time it was at no dots and I only put 16.8? Obviously I could have waited until I got 10-12 miles out of L.A. and went to the usual place I go.

Is this just typical shitty digital gas gauge or do I have a problem? I know one of the only problems my dad has had with his 350z has been his (analog) fuel gauge. When he fills up it only goes up to like 75% full.

It seemed to work just as I would expect the first two times I got gas and now I am seeing weird behavior so I am getting a little worried.
houkouonchi is offline   Reply With Quote