View Single Post
Old 04-24-2009, 10:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
antennahead
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '07 Z4 "M" Roadster
antennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto View Post
So I slightly regret not getting the touring edition although saving the 4k sure feels nice. And while I'm about 70% happy with the stock radio it just needs to be slightly better sounding.

So here's my plan:

* Keep stock HU - I will use AUX input for my iPhone (Pandora junkie)
* Upgrade front speakers to Focal 165a1 which is 6.5" and 1" speakers.
These focal speakers are meant to be drop in replacements for your stock speakers w/o upgrading the stock HU. I found them for $219 on amazon.

I will wire them up myself and see how things sound.

Phase 2 will be adding focal's 4" coaxial 100ca speakers to the rear stock locations (currently empty and w/o wiring) but only if necessary. This would simply provide some fill in the rear which I think is missing right now.

If the stock radio can't handle the power of the new speakers, I will then add a 4ch amplifier.

And finally if I find that there just isn't enough bass, I will add a small sub-woofer, hopefully something that fits into on top of the spare tire like the bose system does.

My goal was to keep things looking and feeling stock while spending as little money as possible. One of the best features of the stock HU is the fact that it has an AUX input.

I'll update when I get the focals in.
Are you close to the Tampa area? Zenclosures is looking for a test car to use to design a sub enclosure. They are offering a free enclosure in exchange for your time. There is a thread in the audio & video section on this.

John
antennahead is offline   Reply With Quote