Thread: Importing
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 08:52 PM   #56 (permalink)
mjch3n
Enthusiast Member

Drives: slow
mjch3n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
"If you purchase the vehicle brand new in the US, you MUST register it in the US, before you import it to Canada. When you import it to Canada, you are restricted from selling the vehicle for 6 months. If you sell the vehicle within 6 months, the new buyer will not get the warranty."
I think that you might be misinterpreting this statement. The purpose of this statement, as I understand, is to deter dealerships from selling new cars to Canada for the reasons that Fusz has stated (the exchange rate, unable to complete, Nissan Co. does not want this). The requirements to title the car before selling it diminishes the value of a new car to a used car instantly, so that makes it unattractive to dealerships to try and export cars to Canada. However, it seems that if the car has been titled in the United States (therefore it is now used), that it can be imported to Canada in which case the buyer in Canada cannot sell the car for 6 (six) months without a loss of warranty. I do not believe it has anything to do with the car being registered in the United States for six months. The six month window of time, along with the requirement to title a car, serves only to stop U.S. dealerships from exporting new cars to Canada and then selling them as new cars over there.