View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 10:34 PM   #225 (permalink)
travisjb
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: VIR
travisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Nash View Post
There seems to be some implication, at least, that this alleged problem is more prevalent in manual trans cars but I can't think of any logical reason why that would be.

Does anybody have any idea why a manual transmission car would be more likely to have an oil temp issue than an auto trans car?
Here's what I posted today over in Wstar's journal...
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisjb View Post
There's prob some truth to your point that fewer AT folks are inclined to track their cars... and I agree the transmission itself isn't likely... and I also think this car runs hot regardless of transmission... but I think with the manual folks are spending more time at higher RPMs, which is a contributing factor... oil heats up with friction and I suspect friction increases non-linearly with RPMs... automatic transmissions should reduce time at higher RPMs vs manual b/c when it upshifts it does so with 99% precision... and I think realistically, most of us guys with manual transmissions are keeping on the gas at least a little between upshifts... and so for example even if we shift at 7,400 rpm, the car is running up to 7,800 rpm when the clutch is pressed... I suspect a lot of heat is building up between 7,500 and 8,000 rpm for the 6mts... Drivers can help by lifting the gas sooner, but I don't blame it all on us drivers, I think the engagement points in the clutch are too high in the pedal stroke... Based on my own experience and from watching videos of guys driving this car, I'm convinced it is happening a lot... until I find some AT guys overheating, I'm going to keep asking the question... sorry for the long-winded explanation!
Honestly, I have no data to back this theory up... other than an observation that folks on this board with 6MT seem to be the only ones overheating to the point of limp mode (so far!)...

WStar made the reasonable point that it should be rev limited even with the clutch in... my car's in the shop so I can't test that, but I seem to remember that mine shot above 7,500 w/ clutch in... anyone willing to check?