View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cmike2780
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: slowwww
Cmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie370 View Post
I went with the lighter silver. I didn't really have a lot of options because I was looking for a 2009. I attached the only pic I've taken so far. I've been too busy driving... I've put 1000 miles on it in 5 days!

It took me 4 days to discover downshifting. I would put it in manual mode and then attempt to accelerate in 6 and it would accelerate slowly... didn't realize downshifting makes you go faster...

I don't know how to drive a stick shift and my one buddy was trying to get me to go manual but after reading through this forum it seems like the manual mode in the AT provides optimum performance for your average driver.

One quick question I have for anyone with a auto is when to shift in manual mode if I want to go as fast as possible from a start. I'm assuming I'm wanting to hit near 7000 for optimal acceleration before the next shift every single change? Is that correct?

Also, how do I figure out how hard I can push it around corners?
I was in the same spot you were in over a year ago. I never had a chance, nor needed to drive stick before this car. My previous car had a "manual" mode also, but after a while, I found myself not using the "D" anymore. Huge learning curve to drive a stick and nerve racking, but well worth it. The auto with manual mode on the Z is one of the best I've seen without going to a dual clutch type setup.

To get an idea of when to shift in manual mode, drive the car as you would normaly in "D" and watch the tachometer. Then try it in manual. I'm not sure if this transmission shifts automatically at redline anyways, maybe someone with the auto trans. can help. If it doesn't, just stay off the redline and you'll be fine. Just remember that shifting at higher rev's will use up a lot more "premium" gas.

Leave the VDC on at all times. The car is a lot to handle with it on, especially comming from a 4-cyl. Your usually going faster than you realize.

Stay safe and welcome to the forum.

Cmike2780 is offline   Reply With Quote