View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
shadoquad
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: .
shadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGAWAGA View Post
Hi all,
I recently got a Z and this is my first manual car.(Hope i dont get blazed)
I wanted to learn stick using a different car, but there were no oppurtunities so i ended up practicing with the Z. So far i can drive it around without stalling, and theres only 300 miles on this car. Okay let me tell you what i do.

From N to 1st i always plant my heel to the ground and release it by rolling of my foot. It was working well but i noticed i couldnt shift quickly from Reverse to 1st, because when i roll the clutch off my foot with heel planted, the clutch is starting from the arc of my foot after Reversing, and not the toe/ball area. So i have to go into neutral let go of clutch and depress it again.

I have searched some forums and saw that most manual drivers tend to use their whole leg to release the clutch with the heel completely off.

So i tried this method the other day, and reversing is fine but going from N to 1st is really hard to control.

So here is my question for you veteran drivers:
How do you guys release the clutch? and if there are techniques to be more precise with the clutch. I know practice is important but i dont want to practice wrong and learn a bad habit thanks.

-Thomas
I use the whole leg and just ease it off. Not easy to describe the sweet spot, and every manual vehicle you drive will have a different feel.

But I engage/release the clutch with the whole leg and rest my heel on the carpet in front of the clutch when not in use. If I'm cruising for a long time on the highway, I use the dead pedal to the far left for comfort.

Other folks may vary.
shadoquad is offline   Reply With Quote