View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 02:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
david712370
Base Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370z PG M6
david712370 is on a distinguished road

Hey Moto...Sounds like a decent plan. I find myself in a similar position and thought that I would share with you my plans and things that I have read.

I have seen that there have been some people that have put 3.5" and 4" speakers in the rears (I would like to find out the depth but haven't gotten a chance to check myself, I just got my car a few days ago). I currently find myself in a dilemma...I've read that some people think that if you have very good quality components up front that putting in rear speakers will make the system sound worse. Their logic is that it will mess up the channeling and what not (I believe that was the wording). This is because the Car is much smaller and those 4" rear speaker spots are close to the head rest.

I have had someone else tell me that if powered by a quality amp that the rears would add to the system. I am definitely planning on changing the head unit (Kenwood DDX 714, looks like a really good fit for the none touring and offers tons of add ons such as rear camera, bluetooth, garmin navi, ipod, hd radio, sirus and steering wheel controls.) and adding a 4 channel amp even though i'm not sure if I want the rear speakers. Having the option would always be nice. I was thinking about a Rockford Fosgate T400-4bd or the JL 300/4v2. The components I plan to get are the JL C5-650. I believe the retail on those at crutchfield are 500 but am getting them for about 283.

Anyways....I think u'll be better off to upgrade you head unit and 4 channel amp. If you plan on getting the 4 channel from the start you may be able to satisfy your bass needs granted you got the proper amp. For example, instead of getting the 4" in the rear and possibly the sub... you could get a pair of 6x9s.

One last thing, I saw on a recent thread that someone fit 3" mids in the upper dash. I am currently thinking about that option as well.

Best of luck.

Last edited by david712370; 04-23-2009 at 02:14 PM.
david712370 is offline   Reply With Quote