View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
cmmonte92
Base Member

Drives: 09 135i Convertible
cmmonte92 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Hey Guys,

Just finalizing my install details, and wondering how long the cables need to be.

Mainly without going crazy, how long does the RCA cable need to be from the head unit to the amp, assuming the amp is behind or under the seats.

And I only need x2 RCA cables right?
One (stereo) RCA cable for doors (2ch), and one RCA cable for the sub input.
I'm guessing 2 x 6foot cables is enough.

Do I need to replace the stock wiring if replacing the door speakers and tweeters, with components speakers?
What gauge wire for front speakers/tweeters?
What gauge wire for subwoofer?

Again if so, how much speaker wire will I need for the speakers/tweeters?
I'm guessing 30foot max, for all speaker wiring.

Cheers
TROOPER,

More than likely, if your head unit has amp pre-outs, they are by the pair (meaning by 2s). So, your sub pre-out will be left /right, as well. Don't worry, though... You Mono amp will do as advertised and make the signal to your sub, mono.

Also, no more than 10ft for RCA's should be needed. Don't forget..., run your RCA's separate from your amp power wires (eg: RCA's along the arm-rest/center-console and the amp power along the doors). If they must cross, do it at 90 degree angles to prevent interference (induced alternator whine).

If you're planning on running components, then higher-rated speaker wire is recommended; 18-16 gauge, depending on how much wattage you'll be pushing through them (the more wattage, the thicker gauge). However, that's only if you're really going to be pushing more than 50W/Ch or just want some peace-of-mind. Trying to run new speaker wires through the door's molex connector is a PITA, but can be done (with some patience) in about an hour or so, per door. Keep in mind, that you want the same length wire for each speaker from the amp. Meaning, if it takes 10ft of wire for your right door speaker, then try to impedance match and use 10ft for your left door speaker. Also, always try to give your self some "fudge" factor for any mistakes in the length of wire needed (eg: decide to change amp location, cut one wire too short, etc.).

12 gauge wire for your sub, should be good (assuming you're sticking with your above set-up)

Good luck!

Last edited by cmmonte92; 07-11-2010 at 05:41 PM.
cmmonte92 is offline   Reply With Quote