View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #45 (permalink)
rj45
Base Member

Drives: 40th Anniversary Z
rj45 is on a distinguished road

The few times that I've talked myself into buying an automatic car, I've ultimately come away disappointed. After the honeymoon period is over, the lack of involvement, the sluggish response, the slurred shifts, etc. just don't do it for me. For long term enjoyment, I've always needed a manual gearbox. There is that 2% of the time when I'd rather be driving an auto (stuck in heavy traffic or just plain tired), but that's the price you pay by choosing a manual.

Of course, some modern torque converter automatics have become much better - the auto 135i I test drove did shift very well...not quite up to dual-clutch standards, but it had respectably quick, sharp shifts. I haven't owned a dual-clutch car, though I have driven a friend's A3 DSG. I do think I would enjoy that transmission much more, however, I would still want a manual car alongside the dual-clutch car. It's hard giving up a manual trans when you've been using one for 30 years.

I do realize that those not skilled at using a manual probably wouldn't want one, especially when buying a sports car. While learning to drive one from A-to-B isn't difficult, driving one well does take time...i.e., being able to extract the car's performance. There's not much sense in buying a manual performance car if you can't get the car to perform to its ability. In that case, an auto does make more sense and will likely yield more long term enjoyment.

Last edited by rj45; 07-09-2010 at 10:12 AM.