View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 04:49 PM   #210 (permalink)
Robert_Nash
Track Member

Drives: '14 Q60IPL/'14Armada
Robert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan93rsa View Post
Robert,

As others have stated the oil can get hot in short order if pushed. My experience was 2 laps at modest speed, 2 laps in traffic and 1 hot lap to hit 275F and climbing. Out of 170 cars I was the only one that had to stop due to oil temp issues. That is pathetic...
I don't have any intentions of tracking my car; if I did, I'd be installing an oil cooler...I really don't see a problem.

I would think, given the price differential between a Cayman S (especially what a Cayman S can get up to) and a 370, you should have enough money left over to buy as many additional oil coolers as you could want.

If the oil temps are getting dangerously (for the engine) high for normal driving/conditions that's a problem that needs to be addressed...if, however, it's primarily an issue when tracking the car then I don't see it as something Nissan is obligated to address.

I do hope that Nissan makes additional coolers (engine oil, differential, etc) available; at least as an aftermarket product if not as a factory installed option for those who want/feel they need them.

Edit: Maybe this isn't the thread for this but a though on tracking street cars...
Most street vehicles intended for the public and for public roads; even high performance "sports cars" are not race cars. If you take a street car to the track you are engaging in an activity that the vehicle was NOT intended for (regardless of whatever hype various manufacturers like to hit us with) and it's an activity that WILL put more wear and tear on all your vehicle's components/systems than normal driving.

Tracking your car is fun...no one can deny that...who doesn't like to pretend to be a race car driver for an afternoon but a street car will never be a purpose-built race machine.

I'm sure there are some stock street vehicles out there at/near the Z's price range that may, in regards to certain components/systems, hold up/do better (when tracked) than the Z...I suspect there are other components/systems on the Z that might hold up better that those other vehicles too. A mass produced vehicle is always a collection of compromises no matter who makes it; at least that's going to be the case unless you are willing to spend lots and lots of money for your vehicle.

I'm really not trying to start an argument here or ruffle any feathers...it just seems as if there are a lot of people these days with expectations of a modestly priced sports car that just aren't very realistic...then again, maybe it's just a function of my age and how I've seen automotive product change and improve over the past forty years or so...I know first hand how far vehicles have come...how much better they are in just about any category you could name. Those who have been around a bit less time that I may think 0-60 times in under 5 seconds and top speeds in excess of 150 have always been commonplace.

Thank God they don't build them like they used to!

Ok...soapbox put away now.

Last edited by Robert_Nash; 04-23-2009 at 12:13 AM.