View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 04:29 PM   #208 (permalink)
alan93rsa
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 16 Cayman GT4 Red
alan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond repute

Robert,

As others have stated the oil can get hot in short order if pushed. My experience was 2 laps at modest speed, 2 laps in traffic and 1 hot lap to hit 275F and climbing. Out of 170 cars I was the only one that had to stop due to oil temp issues. That is pathetic.

Nissan needs to stop allowing any journalists to drive this car on anything other than a loop around town. As it stands now they offer the enticement to drive the car on a track. I believe they know this can't be done without exploring the outer edges of seriously shortened engine life.

As for your mechanic's thought on oil temp I'd buy 220 maybe 230. Over 240 and anyone driving a Porsche on the track will most likely be hitting the pits to find out what is wrong.

Speaking of Porsches I bought the Z because it 'looked' like a good alternative to a Cayman S. I'm not so sure anymore. Six Caymans were at Mid-Ohio last weekend and not one pulled off track. A friend ran four sixty minute stints on Friday in his Cayman S without a single issue. He's had this car for two years and he flogs it with regularity.

I'd suggest you take your car to a track and have someone drive it that knows the track. My guess is that you would be asking them pull off the track in a very short period of time.

If I had wanted a Hyundai I would have purchased a Hyundai! As it stands I purchased a car that needed an oil cooler but the factory didn't want to complete the job. At the least they could have included instructions on how to install one in the owner's manual, don't you think?

Or maybe a warning sticker on the speedo:

Please do not attempt to pass a Hyundai