View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #203 (permalink)
Robert_Nash
Track Member

Drives: '14 Q60IPL/'14Armada
Robert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really nice

Just though I would share...

I’ve had my 370Z since early January 2009 and have about 4,200 miles on it. During that time I’ve taken a couple of long trips where I’ve generally traveled about 10 miles over the posted speed limit (at least when traffic permits) which for most of the states I travel that's in the 80ish MPH range and I’ve autocrossed my car twice so far. I’ve also, as you know if your read my earlier post, taken my car to the Dragon and the Skyway recently.

<o></o>As hard as I’ve pushed my vehicle, the oil temp, according to the onboard gauge, has only reached the range of 240 up to near 250 degrees. A few days ago, I discussed this issue with the owner of Crawford Z Car in Nashville – he’s been repairing, and modifying and racing Zs in particular and Nissan’s in general for over 35 years…there are few people in the country that know more about the Z car than he and per him, if I understood him corectly, we shouldn't have to worry about oil temps until they hit the 260-280 degree range and that 220-240 is just about the range you want your oil to operate in.

<o></o>One thing that neither he nor I know is exactly “where” the onboard oil temp sensor is in the 370’s engine…if it’s in the pan, it’s going to be hotter than at other places (which is pretty normal) per him.

This pretty much puts the issue to rest for me...my feeling now is that if you are going to track your car or routinely thrash it and run it to the edge every time you are behind the wheel then get an aftermarket oil cooler installed…other than that, the oil temp should not be anything to be overly concerned about…just keep you oil changed regularly.

Last edited by Robert_Nash; 04-22-2009 at 04:11 PM.