View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
djpathfinder
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2012 GT-R BE
djpathfinder has a reputation beyond reputedjpathfinder has a reputation beyond reputedjpathfinder has a reputation beyond reputedjpathfinder has a reputation beyond reputedjpathfinder has a reputation beyond reputedjpathfinder has a reputation beyond reputedjpathfinder has a reputation beyond reputedjpathfinder has a reputation beyond reputedjpathfinder has a reputation beyond reputedjpathfinder has a reputation beyond reputedjpathfinder has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by XwChriswX View Post
Awesome review/install DIY.

1 question, from what it looks, you mounted the feed/draw lines to the top of the cooler. Is this for easier flow, or is there a more technical reason?

What happens when it comes time to change the oil? Will you simply remove this and drain it seperate from the drain plug? Or will old oil be trapped in there if you choose not to?
I think the Stillen kit cooler was meant to be installed in that orientation (lines coming in from the top) based on the provided mounting bracket. I suppose you could install the cooler so that the lines come in from the bottom, but you would need to cut out two sizeable holes on the mounting bracket to allow for the lines to come through.

You're going to have some residual amounts left in the cooler and the lines (I'm using about 1 quart more oil with the 19 row cooler compared to before) no matter which orientation the cooler sits. I'm not going to worry too much about completely draining everything on each oil change. You could remove the lines every time (and invert the cooler), but I don't think I want to mess around with tightening and loosening the fittings and/or adapters repeatedly for fear of developing potential leaks. Besides, you're still going to have residual amounts unless you dismantle everything, including the lines at the sandwich plate...a bit too much PITA for what it's worth (for 0.5 to 0.75 quart of oil). Another alternative is to do more frequent oil changes to keep your oil cleaner.