View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
BanningZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 06' Nismo Frontier
BanningZ has a brilliant futureBanningZ has a brilliant futureBanningZ has a brilliant futureBanningZ has a brilliant futureBanningZ has a brilliant futureBanningZ has a brilliant futureBanningZ has a brilliant futureBanningZ has a brilliant futureBanningZ has a brilliant futureBanningZ has a brilliant futureBanningZ has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstar View Post
People in very liberal places (like Canada, California, and NYC) don't really have the same grasp on this issue as those of us in the rest of the US, you'll have to allow some room for being in a vastly different environment. In TX, citizens are encouraged by law enforcement officers (the good ones anyways) to own and carry guns (although carrying must be concealed, and requires a license issued by the state). I've actually gotten out of speeding tickets because the officer liked my carry piece (we're required to disclose the carry license when asked for a driver's license) and we got into a firearms conversation, etc. It's a different world down here than where you're at.

Armed citizens reduce crime, the statistics are clear. There are now few states left in the US that don't have shall-issue concealed carry licenses, and the number continues to drop. (shall-issue means they can't deny you arbitrarily as long as you meet all the basic requirements: take training, pass a shooting test, no felony record, no higher-level misdemeanors within X years, no record of mental health issues, no restraining orders, etc, etc... it's actually quite an extensive list of checks).
Quote:
Well, this isn't the thread to debate this, but (a) I didn't say anything about Oregon, (b) I disagree with you on many other points above, and (c) I take offense at you calling people who carry guns rednecks.

If you want to start a new thread, I'll be happy to supply statistical data on the subject and engage in this debate

Okay, A: when you lump places like California, and NYC together as "very liberal" you lump the rest of the country into the other category ie. Oregon.
My home is not vastly different than NYC, California, Canada or any other state for that matter. I would argue that Texas isn't that much different either. I've been there and I like it. Houston is a great city.

B: Its okay to disagree. It would be a pretty boring place if people didn't.

C: Don't take offense as I was not calling anyone a Gun toting redneck. I was saying that certain comments can make people in other countries who are viewing our country from the outside in think that we are gun toting rednecks. Stereotypes are real and most often incorrect. The world stereotypes Americans as fat, lazy, uneducated and gun crazy. We need to take caution when addressing issues like this because we want to remove stereotypes not reinforce them.
When you make a comment like:
Quote:
People in very liberal places (like Canada, California, and NYC) don't really have the same grasp on this issue as those of us in the rest of the US, you'll have to allow some room for being in a vastly different environment.
It gives the outside world the impression that our country is taken over by criminals and gun toting rednecks. It wasn't an attack and if it was it would be pretty hypocritical because as stated before I am a gun owner.

P.S.: Thanks Semtex for allowing debate in your thread.

BTW:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanningZ View Post
As I have mentioned in the past Semtex, Its wouldn't take much effort to paint a couple of white stripes or panels on a Monterrey Blue 370Z that has been impounded. Set a group of red and blue flashers above the dash and you've got a highway cruiser that would be a ticket giving machine.
Like my horrible Paint skills?

MB 06' Nismo VQ40DE
BanningZ is offline   Reply With Quote