View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 11:41 AM   #22 (permalink)
wellarmed
Base Member

Drives: 09 370Z
wellarmed is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE
any chance of the Z being a real 10 sec car after all the mods people are building for it?

No. Not with any simple bolt on mods. Power has to be HUGE to push a 3000+ lb car into the 10s. Especially without a properly set up chassis.

There are basically two ways to do it. One requires (in addition to a big power increase) modifying the chassis and rear suspension to get the car off the line HARD.
Different wheels and tires for sure which means different brakes to fit those wheels. Unknown how the suspension would be able to deal with that kind of launch. Would it remain stable and put the power to the ground? I doubt it. Would it break? Probably. I'm going the bet it would break.

A serious 370Z drag car will probably have the entire rear end and suspension replaced and you'ld have to be a demented drag racer type to do that.
When dealing with that type... anything is possible.

The other (preferable) way would be to go easy on the rear end and give away a hard leave for a HUGE top end speed.
Now you're talking turbos with enough power to produce quarter mile speeds of 140mph or better to make up for a soft first 200 ft.

Can the trans take that? Maybe the auto with some mods can considering that you aren't really going to be hooking up too hard. I'm going to bet the manual/clutch wouldn't. At least not without babying the shifts which means you'll need even more mph to make up for that.

I think you will need 700hp to see the finish line speeds necessary to put one of these into the high 10s without a drag suspension and tire setup.
Under drive pullys and HFCs just aren't going to get it done.
wellarmed is offline   Reply With Quote