View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #928 (permalink)
Kyle@STILLEN
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: Toyota Tundra
Kyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond repute

This past weekend I took our black 370Z to the Virginia City Spectre 341 Hill Climb. We have to put some miles on the car for our CARB testing and we figured it would be the best time to do it. Just thought some of you would like to know that I had EXCELLENT fuel milage on that trip. I did not keep track of my fuel milage on the way there for two reasons. 1) I didn't think I could make the complete 480 mile trip on one tank and 2) Honestly, I didn't even think about it until I got 3/4 of the way there!

I was about 3/4 of the way there and I noticed that my fuel tank only had a quarter tank of gas left, so I pulled into the gas station and filled up simply because I did not know the area and I did not know how long it would be before seeing another gas station with relatively inexpensive fuel. A couple hours later (it was a 9.5 hour trip on the way there as I was following Steve in the Armada towing our race trailer most the way.) we pulled into the Silverland Inn where the race was being held. I noticed that I had only used about a quarter tank of gas. So I thought to myself, on the way home, I'm going to try to make the whole trip in one tank.

Around noon on Saturday we decided to pack up and head home. Steve had reported that the road had become slick (too hot) and he felt that he had gone as fast as he could go on the Bridgestones. We could have pushed harder with the optional Dunlops and probably picked up another 5-10 seconds but unfortunately Dunlop was out of stock so we were limited to the O.E. Bridgestones, sorry for the digression, I over explain sometimes.

Before pulling out of the Silverland Hotel I grabbed the 5 gallon jug of 91 octane fuel and poured it into the tank of the Z. We had planned on mixing the 91 with the 109 that we were running in the GT R to extend the 109 a little bit and get a few more runs but with the road going away we did not need it anymore. When I got back in the car I noticed that the fuel lights were all lit and showing that the tank was full. Obviously I don't know exactly how full it was because there is the variable of the fuel tank however I do know that from Silverland to my local Chevron is EXACTLY 480 miles. I also know that I kept the cruise control locked on 70-72 MPH the whole way (only accelerating to pass slower traffic and accidentally cruising at 80 while on the 15 freeway and keeping up with the flow of traffic before noticing my speed and slowing back down) and only stopped twice to go to the bathroom, one of those times I left the engine running (I know, I know...) Along the trip down highway 395 you go through a few small towns and have to slow down to 35 MPH to crawl through the town before accelerating back up to highway speed (posted limit of 65.) Long story short, I made the entire trip home in 8 and a half hours exactly...Left at noon on the dot and arrived at the Chevron station at 8:30. This 480 mile trip was done on a single tank of gas. When I got to the Chevron station I filled up with 17.8 gallons of fuel. So, I basically did this trip with an average of 27 MPG.

Here are a few pictures of the Z on the trip in Virginia City...

And finally, a picture just to enjoy, Steve hustling the GT R around the hill...

Last edited by Kyle@STILLEN; 06-29-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Kyle@STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote