View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009, 10:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
rbratton
Base Member

Drives: 2009 370Z
rbratton is on a distinguished road
Default Setrab Oil Cooler Install

In installed my Oil cooler today. It's a Setrab unit that I got as a kit from Stillen for $406. Although Stillen's instructions were lacking the install was straight forward and took me only about five hours. The first think you have to do is pop off the front bumper cover. You do this be removing all of the body fasteners on top under the hood to remove the plastic cover over the radiator, then remove the under tray, the the inner fenders on both sides. I had my car on jack stands with both front wheels removed for ease of access. After you remove the inner fenders, there is one screw in that holds the bumper to the fender; remove this screw on both sides then pull the front bumper cover away from the fenders starting at the fender well. You have to pull firmly as the bumper cover is "snapped" into little plastic clips below the headlights and at the left and right corners. After you pop both sides loose, the front bumper cover comes right off and then you can remove the foam that is left behind.

The next step is to relocate the power steering fluid cooler as its' stock location is too far forward and will interfere with the oil cooler. First remove the hose clamps on both ends of the hoses and remove the two flexible hoses. I found it helpful to undo the two mounting hangers that fastened the hoses to the car. Then I used a dremel to slice the hoses and they slid right off. I used the provided clamps to move the cooler back and toward the driver. I had to drill two holes (one in the metal upright in front of the radiator and one in the plastic radiator support on the bottom. After I mounted the cooler, I marked and cut new hose (supplied) to length. Then I put all the hoses back on and re-installed the stock clamps. The system was drained so I had to refill the power steering fluid resevoir.

Here is a picture of the relocated oil cooler.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0711.jpg (171.1 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by rbratton; 04-19-2009 at 10:06 PM.
rbratton is offline   Reply With Quote