View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 02:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
ImportConvert
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 CX5 GT Reserve
ImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond repute
Default 370Z Oil Burning

I have seen a lot of people on here posting grief about this issue. Are they the minority or the majority of owners?

If the majorit:

Here are a few thoughts from a former LS1 owner (for those of you who know about the Ls1 engine):

I tried 5-30 Mobil 1 15K mile formula. It burned 1qt in around 2K miles. (a mixture of group III and group IV oils, after the loss of a lawsuit to Castrol, Mobil one cheaped-out and no-longer used fully group IV).

I then tried Castrol 10-30 Syntec (A hydrocracked mixture of Group III and group IV oils). It burned about 1qt every 2500-3K or so.

I then tried Castrol 10-40. Lifter noise was more pronounced (loud in an LS1 to begin with). I changed the oil.

I then tried Castrol European Formula 0-30 (which is actually thicker than their 10-30, at operating temperature. "weights" don't mean a darn thing.). It burned 1qt every 4500 miles. GC is a fully group IV oil.

Basically, I tried a few oils and DOUBLED the mileage per quart of oil I burned, all by just changing oils.

Mobil one is a very thin oil, always coming in on the "bottom" end of thickness range for it's "weight" at operating temperature. It usually "shears" out of its rated weight by 2K miles if you get the vehicle up to temp. at all.

Penn. Platinum is a pretty good oil. It does not shear nearly as badly as M1 does.

Castrol 0-30 is on the heavier side for it's "weight", and also shears VERY little as it is a true group IV oil.

Just some food for thought for you guys, some engines are picky about what you put in them.

Anyway, back to this noob's question: Is oil consumption a common 370Z issue, or not really? I know on the 350's it was hell.
ImportConvert is offline   Reply With Quote