View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 04:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
LinPark
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
LinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to LinPark Send a message via Skype™ to LinPark
Default Headunit Research - Recommendations Please

Been doing some research on these and have managed to completely confuse myself. Mostly using Crutchfield for my comparisons and the Kenwood units seem to be all over the place in functionality vs age vs price. For instance, with the current rebate of $100 for the new model, that places the DNX6160 and DNX6960 at the exact same price - the only difference I can see in these 2 units is the preamp voltage (2V vs 5V) and the wireless remote so I'm not really sure why they jumped to a 6960 - that looks more like a 6161 to me.

Also, comparing the 6160 to the 7160 all I see is a 6.1" vs 6.95" screen, an extra 2 EQ bands on the 7 series, different sound processing ability, a wireless remote on the 7 series, and a flip down screen on the 7 series for an additional 50% more in cost. I also see DNX9xxx series but these seem to be primarily aimed at playing movies with surround sound in the vehicle (feel free to correct me on that one) which clearly won't be for me in this car.

Given that I am going to put this in place of the factory non-Bose setup can someone recommend the optimal unit for me? Here are my requirements:

Current
Good Navigation - really like Garmin but not a deal breaker
iPod capabilities
MP3/WMA capabilities (DVD not critical but I'm guessing they all have this)
Good Sound quality with existing factory speakers
Rear View Camera capabilities
Compatible with steering wheel controls (Source, Skip, and Volume)
Bluetooth capabilities
Simple options for firmware upgrades
Color matching buttons for existing interior is a plus

Future
Subwoofer hookup
Pre-Outs for fronts (probably never have rear speakers in this car)
Work well with a 5 channel amp to drive everything later

I'm willing to entertain non-Kenwood suggestions if the unit meets my requirements above and has a proven track record. I've looked at JVC, Alpine, Pioneer, and Clarion at Crutchfield's site as well.

Thanks in advance for the input!
LinPark is offline   Reply With Quote