View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 12:18 PM   #67 (permalink)
Modshack
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z Sport
Modshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
After asking the dealership to put this in writing they quickly backed down since the Nissan Oil Cooler is considered a nismo competition part and does not come with any type of warranty from Nissan. The dealer will only point towards you warranty manual which is vague on the issue. I also checked around with other dealerships with the same response. Dealers say that by putting on an oil cooler will not affect you warranty unless the oil cooler fails and causes the damage. (Which from a legal standpoint I understand that this is the case) From several talks with consumer affairs, by placing an oil cooler on the vehicle that they classify as a competition part that the car has been modified for competition use therefore having the potential to void your power train warranty however the did say that your radio would still be covered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Tam I am View Post
They said yes. I will use a credit card to pay with, and if I do not get it in writing after it is installed I will simply contest the payment and use their voice mail recording as proof. In writing or it's free.
Again, good luck on that. You may have high expectations as to what "Warranty" will cover and what a dealer will actually put in writing. According to Nissan, your overall warranty is not void with this install, but the part itself is not warrantied. If it fails and takes out an engine, I doubt Nissan will consider that a warranted item. Their position on this is: (Emphasis on the last paragraph)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan USA
The 370Z has an engine protection system that reduces peak engine speeds when the oil temperature exceeds recommended levels in order to protect against possible engine damage. Aggressive driving of the 370Z on a race track at sustained high engine speeds can cause increases in oil temperature and may activate this engine protection system. To avoid activation of this engine protection system and these reduced peak engine speeds, Nissan recommends an oil cooler be fitted to the 370Z before driving it on a race track. A Nissan Motorsports accessory oil cooler kit is available for customer purchase through authorized Nissan dealerships for race track use. The part number is 21300-SS370.

An oil cooler is not necessary for normal operation of the vehicle on public roads. The addition of an oil cooler would have raised the price of the car and potentially moved it out of the reach of some customers. Value has been a core principle of the Z car since the original 240Z and we choose to uphold this core principle by not adding additional costs that are unnecessary for normal use. For those individuals who choose to drive their vehicle on a race track, the oil cooler is available as an aftersales item.

The oil cooler is a Nissan Motorsports item and as such is sold without warranty, express or implied, unless expressly prohibited by law in which case the warranty provided is the minimum required by law. The installation of the Nissan Motorsports oil cooler does not, by itself, “void” the vehicle warranty. However any damage caused by the installation or use of this part is expressly excluded under the terms of the Nissan New Vehicle Limited warranty.

Steal my car! (SOLD)...Now Porsche Cayman S
Oil Cooler DIY: Here!
Modshack is offline   Reply With Quote