Thread: Harness ...?
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 04:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
cmmonte92
Base Member

Drives: 09 135i Convertible
cmmonte92 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeSemdyZee View Post
For the steering wheel control, get a Metra Axxess ASWC. There are no resistors, it auto-senses (as well as manual), you can update the firmware via an optional cable and it reacts instantly when making changes. I had the PAC SWI-Jack and it was a royal piece of crap.
Agreed.

I installed the Metra Axxess ASWC on a Pioneer MVH-P8200 to maintain the steering wheel controls and it works great. The update cable is a must though, being after I installed mine it wouldn't auto program, which meant it probably needed an update. No big deal though, it's programming instructions are pretty straight forward and take less than 5 minutes to complete.... Also, the wiring according to the website and what comes with the harness are kinda' contradictory. The pins that it says to tap into (before the stereo harness) aren't the color they say they are and if I remember correctly, one of the pins was completely missing.

I repair electronics for a living and it wasn't that big of a deal for me to signal trace the wires they referred to, though. Also, the trouble-shooting guide is very helpful in getting things straightened out if it doesn't boot-up properly. It will will tell you what wires you don't have connected and which ones you do, by reading the flashing sequence of a red led on the module.

It took about an hour to install, but is well worth it. Also, No resistors to mess with!
cmmonte92 is offline   Reply With Quote