View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 06:02 PM   #21 (permalink)
Lug
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2006 350Z
Lug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endgame View Post
I hoped this site would not have some who respond in ways that show their ignorance.

The rotary when NA is a bulletproof engine. HELLO!! LEMANS AND ROLEX 24 winner!!! They are very durable.

Not sure if the acceleration numbers would best the Z, but the new 7 WILL best it on the track if numbers all remain the same as today. Gas milage?? PEOPLE... REDUCED WEIGHT = what? And don't even say the new, larger engine will make up the difference as one of Mazda's corporate goals is to increase gas mileage by 20% I believe. That will translate to much improved milage for this new 7.

I will counter myself and say... I also am suspect about the styling. I LOVE my MS RX8; I am hesitant about the new 7. Also, by the time this 7 comes out with its 270-300 HP 16x Rotary, the Z will have DI!

All that said: I have decided to wait until 2010 for more news from Mazda on this car. As it stands right now, I will get the Z.
Actually gas mileage is a weak point of the rotary design. Strengths are simplicity (1/3 the moving parts) and power to weight ratio. Almost all ultralite aircraft use rotary engines because of this. The ideal setup would be the Rotary in the Lotus Exirge body. Torque is somewwhat a product of displacement so a small rotary = small torque much like a Mustang has less HP but more torque due to it's engine than a 370Z. As far as performance window possibilites, look at the RX7 to the 370Z much like the 370Z to the new Camaro.