View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 07:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Nick911sc
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2010 Nissan GT-R
Nick911sc is a splendid one to beholdNick911sc is a splendid one to beholdNick911sc is a splendid one to beholdNick911sc is a splendid one to beholdNick911sc is a splendid one to beholdNick911sc is a splendid one to beholdNick911sc is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinps View Post
Two things. One, they way overcharged you. Mine was like $400 and they threw it in after some haggling and two, I am not so sure Ester based CONVENTIONAL oil is as good as a synthetic to begin with.

I know Nissan recommends it, but I have never seen any tests done to show that it performs all that great and in fact the opposite seems to be the case. I wonder if it isn't more that they have a vested interest.

I put my trust in the folks over at Bob Is The Oil Guy site. They are saying synthetic...and I tend to agree.

I'll probably just bring my own M1 or PP to them when they do the change unless they have it there at a reasonable cost.

BTW, here are a few links talking about Nissan Ester oil over at BITOG:
Nissan Ester OIL 5W-30 - Bob Is The Oil Guy
VOA - Nissan Ester 5W-30 - Bob Is The Oil Guy
Nissan Ester 5W30-'08 Infiniti G37, 1.5k mi - Bob Is The Oil Guy
Nissan Ester Oil 5W-30; 09 Maxima; 14,300 Miles - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Pay particular attention to the last two. This oil doesn't seem to be doing all that great of a job as far as engine protection goes. In short, I would not recommend this oil if your goal is engine longevity. It MAY do what they designed it to do...increase fuel mileage and lower emissions though.
Great information

I searched all over BITOG when I was deciding if I should go with the ester.

To make a long story short I did not. I have Agip full synthetic in my Z. And my gf is running mobil 1 in her G37. Car runs much better than it did with the oil from the factory. Couldn't be happier!
Nick911sc is offline   Reply With Quote