View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 01:18 AM   #63 (permalink)
wolf370z
Base Member

Drives: 09 370z red m6
wolf370z will become famous soon enough

How do I feel about my Z? I don't think happy really explains it.

See, I'm a car fanatic. I love cars. Muscle cars, classics, tuners, exotics, etc. Restoring a 1968 dodge charger and driving it (in practically stock condition) is a very far cry from driving the Z.

The smells, the super light power steering, and the looks (inside and out) of the Charger throws you back to the late 60s (and early 70s), aka the peak of the muscle car era. After literally sitting at the light trying to gain traction, the strong torque pulls you out of the hole as the engine roars, tires squeal, and air wooshes through the vent window. It's always a treat and puts a smile on my face to get on it in the charger but the Z is quite the opposite.

Stepping into the Z you're greeted with a nice, neat and cool looking interior. The clutch goes in and you tap the push-start button and watch the gauges do their fancy movements. The car idles at a slightly higher rpm than normal idle and eventually sidles just under 1k rpm (or so lol). Putting it in gear is relatively easy and the comfortable steering wheel feels smooth and a little lighter than expected. When you're pointed in the right direction and throw it in first, it's invigorating to really see how fast you get off the line in a "little" japanese 6 cylinder compared to the muscular v8 of the Charger... but it's a different feel. It's a rush of excitement that isn't accompanied when you're just tearing down the drag strip but the reality that you're rushing toward the next turn on the track.

You see, the Z is different... the Charger gets to the end of the 1/4 mile and it's over. It's gone, the moment has passed and you run back to line it up again or go home. The Z doesn't stop at the 1/4 mile... it's ready for the next turn, the next slide, the next anything. Whether it be drag, autoX, drift, or a serious track, the 370z is ready to do all of those things. It can burn rubber, take turns, kick a good majority of the cars on the roads today in the 1/4 mile (it's extremely close to the Camaro, Challenger, and 2010 and under mustang GT), and most importantly: put a huge smile on my face when I drive it.

And about cruising? Sure the Charger looks pretty and can be fun to drive a boat but the Z just seems to slink around in a smooth and refined fashion.. it's a sports car that feels much more expensive than it really is (in my mind at least, however jumbled it may be )

In the end of the day it's not what your car can do on the road. It's what your can do for you.

Alright, that was a bit cheesy but it's the truth. Satisifaction with cars is more than just a bunch of numbers magazines came up with... being truly satisified with an automobile is a personal experience and connection that the driver maintains with the vehicle. If the car can't make you smile... sell it.

Personally, I love my Z!
wolf370z is offline   Reply With Quote