View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #77 (permalink)
BrianMSmith
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 370Z, Ducati 748S
BrianMSmith will become famous soon enoughBrianMSmith will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCuomo View Post
You "cant pull the trigger" because you can't afford the gun...

BTW, your parents don't owe you anything. And there's the old saying "beggars can't be choosy", so who cares if what you drive right now is "slow and boring". Save your money, then buy what you can afford.
It's not what you drive that is slow and boring, that can only describe how you drive it. It's just your ego and image that suffer in mom and dad's car, rightfully so. I recently had a great time driving through Italy in a Opel Supra, and I used all 80hp, most of the time, and it was NOT slow. In fact it was at least 5 times faster than I could run, and it could go further too. Staying ahead of the double decker bus, i.e. not getting run over, on the single lane twisties was NOT boring, and quite a challenge. But nobody was impressed, and that's really the most important thing when you're 20.

I am 40 years old, make over $100k, and can barely afford a new 370Z..ok I can afford it, but should I? 40 thousand dollars for a car is really stupid money, if I bought a well diversified portfolio for dummies instead, I'd have a quarter million dollars in another 25 years, instead of a very old memory of a nice red sportscar I had in my youf, and just in time for retirement...I didn't do that because I expect to make a lot more money with a high level of certainty, and you're stuck working no matter what, so why not enjoy what you earn, now? And your expenses are nothing now..you probably live at home or share rent for nearly nothing, BUT you will want a family some day, that is the most expensive hobby you will ever have, and you don't want to start that hobby being car poor, believe me, or lacking anything less than a Masters degree. I would find a much better bang for buck option, something like a well used mustang or camaro, maybe a 5 year old 350Z, put some new shocks on it, good tires, and go bonkers....when you're not studying 12 hours a day for that Masters degree. And good things will come. Good luck.

Last edited by BrianMSmith; 06-15-2010 at 08:06 PM.
BrianMSmith is offline   Reply With Quote