View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
spearfish25
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: to work
spearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to spearfish25
Default E-Brake, better than previously reviewed

I was perusing some advanced driving tips and was reading about e-brake turns like the rally guys do all the time in tight hairpins. It was enough to annoy me that our 370s have a bad rap when it comes to the e-brake quality. A number of months back, we bashed the e-brake on why it's so terrible in a thread or two. Car and Driver (or one of the other mags) even did a drift competition and the Z missed top honors due to the abysmal e-brake score. So, I decided to try it out again.

Nothing crazy, though I'm tempted to find an empty parking lot. All I did was a number of stops using the e-brake. The first few were gradual 'pulls' and were very slow and sluggish to bring the car to a halt. Then I tried some 'yanks' and I'll be damned. With a brisk, full e-brake pull it's definitely possible to lock up the rear tires. Frankly, I'm not sure why Car and Driver had any issues with initiating a drift using the e-brake.

My guess is that the e-brake needs a little use to break-in and get grippy. Also, infrequent use probably leads to some surface gunk that needs to be worn off before you get full braking force. In short, use your ebrake every so often to keep her fresh!