View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 10:17 PM   #205 (permalink)
scruffydog
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: with his eyes close
scruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond reputescruffydog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgStacker View Post
Spent a few hours at the shop today after work. I started laying the ground work for the g-code program I will be creating. I imported one of Scruffy's models into some software created to work in conjunction with the software he used to design the parts. It's called CAMworks (Computer Assisted Machining) This type of software allows the user to reproduce compound geometry with out the use of specially made tooling.

I will be honest and tell you that this is a very challenging part by my standards. I have never made a part that forced me to rely so heavily on CAM. Usually I take a much less sophisticated approach to my programs that only requires me to CAM when absolutely necessary . But the fact is the entire visible surface of this badge must be CAMed. It's the only way.

So, I set out to do it and I must say that I am very pleased with myself. The program is by no means complete, but after a couple hours of trying different approaches I had made significant headway on the most difficult steps in the process. I left the shop with a feeling of accomplishment and a big smile on my face.

A few more days like today and the program will be ready, and I will be waiting for the opportunity to bring these parts to life.

I'll make some screen shots of the software, and post a few updated photos of the shop over the coming days to keep up the interest in this thread. (print screen + ctrl V = awesome, thanks Kevin)
HAHA, I knew it was not gonna be a piece of cake. It's hard to not think of the machining process while I'm drawing up the badge. But knowing that you and the use of CAMworks was able to get you somewhere, I'm very impressed. Sorry it's taking me some time to send you the file for the Rear emblem. I have the dimensions on my table somewhere, I just need to modify it to the front one. I realized that you do already have the ZF-2A already. It's the last file I sent you.

I did forget to mention something last time....about the fillet circle, the current thickness is 4.3 mm or something like that, since I don't know what the height of the tabs are (esp the front ones being so big), we may want to increase the thickness of the fillet part if necessary? I guess worst case if these tabs get to be too tall, we can always shave a little bit and it's still cover by the fillet circle.