View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #204 (permalink)
AgStacker
Base Member

Drives: Car
AgStacker is on a distinguished road

Spent a few hours at the shop today after work. I started laying the ground work for the g-code program I will be creating. I imported one of Scruffy's models into some software created to work in conjunction with the software he used to design the parts. It's called CAMworks (Computer Assisted Machining) This type of software allows the user to reproduce compound geometry with out the use of specially made tooling.

I will be honest and tell you that this is a very challenging part by my standards. I have never made a part that forced me to rely so heavily on CAM. Usually I take a much less sophisticated approach to my programs that only requires me to CAM when absolutely necessary . But the fact is the entire visible surface of this badge must be CAMed. It's the only way.

So, I set out to do it and I must say that I am very pleased with myself. The program is by no means complete, but after a couple hours of trying different approaches I had made significant headway on the most difficult steps in the process. I left the shop with a feeling of accomplishment and a big smile on my face.

A few more days like today and the program will be ready, and I will be waiting for the opportunity to bring these parts to life.

I'll make some screen shots of the software, and post a few updated photos of the shop over the coming days to keep up the interest in this thread. (print screen + ctrl V = awesome, thanks Kevin)