View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 02:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
semtex
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: People to drink
semtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to play devil's advocate for a minute on this one. I too like the whole exclusivity angle of this, but I worry about the ripple effect on aftermarket companies. Take Stillen, for example. Stillen's bread and butter is in selling performance upgrades to folks like us who buy these cars. Now, I'm not trying to imply that Nissan is doing anything wrong -- if people aren't buying the cars, they need to cut back production, it's as simple as that. But as car sales decrease, so too does aftermarket sales volume. We may even see certain aftermarket manufacturers close their doors, depending on the state of their balance sheets. And even if a company is in good financial shape, they may decide to hold/scale back on product development for the 370Z, given that Nissan's production cuts guarantee fewer customers for their products. That would be the prudent thing to do, at least until Nissan's production and sales projections turn back around.

My point, then, is that while we may bask in the warm glow of driving relatively exclusive cars, let's not get too carried away. If you're not into modding, then this probably doesn't concern you. But for those of us who are, this news will most likely mean fewer choices and availability in the aftermarket.
semtex is offline   Reply With Quote