View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
rj45
Base Member

Drives: 40th Anniversary Z
rj45 is on a distinguished road

During normal driving, I've found that if I push the clutch pedal in a bit faster than I would normally, my total shift timing is more conducive to smoother shifts (note..I let the clutch out at my normal rate). Since the clutch pedal effort is so light, pushing the pedal quickly is easy. Shift smoothness is all about timing...throttle, clutch and shifter. I'd rather push the clutch in more quickly than be more aggressive with the shift lever...why put added stress on the syncros, I say.

Driving a manual Z is not difficult, but driving/shifting it super smoothly is somewhat challenging. First and foremost, the clutch pedal is too light and short on feel. Then there's the built-in throttle float which doesn't help. Lastly, the e-throttle could be a bit more aggressive...getting the desired engine response takes a bit too much pedal throw.

Another tip...when lifting off the throttle between shifts, don't take your foot off the throttle pedal. Try to keep it in contact with the pedal. This will improve throttle timing when you reapply throttle.

Last edited by rj45; 06-07-2010 at 09:34 PM.
rj45 is offline   Reply With Quote