View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 06:46 AM   #79 (permalink)
spearfish25
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: to work
spearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to spearfish25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phimosis View Post
Hey Spearfish and Tius: What are you guys doing your residencies in? I'm a radiologist, finished my training in 2006. When I first finished residency I bought a 2006 Corvette with the z51 suspension. Great performance for the price. In 2009 when it had 55,000 miles on it, it was showing it's age and was time for a new car. I was considering a used Gallardo, used 911 turbo or ZR1 in the low 100k range. I did the math though and it adds up like this: $2,000 a month payment + high insurance with roughly $1,500 a month going to interest payment. Then you get almost $1,000 a month in depreciation. Your total cost of ownership is between $2,500 and $3,000 a month once you go to resell your car. It's also expected that you drive cars like that for 3,000 miles a year to keep the depreciation and insurance down. Being fresh out of residency, I had lots of items on my wish list, like a house, new furniture, electronics, travel, dates with future trophy wife, etc. Then you get used to spending $1,500 on bottle service in vegas and trips to Honolulu on less than 7 days notice. The money goes fast.
After long deliberation, I got a 370z because it made sense: not too expensive, not many other people have them, looks great, handles great, nice interior. After suspension, tires and bolt on induction upgrades the 370z is a fantastic and fun car. It just needs a little more power. I knew when I bought it that forced induction would be coming. We are so close to forced induction now that it is the perfect time to own a 370z!
So the trade off is: do you want to live in a shack and have a GT3 in the garage, or live in a pimp house on the golf course and drive a turbo 370z?
I just finished a Family Medicine residency.

OK, J/K.

Urology. Would the car (R8/GT3) be a huge monthly expense? Definitely...without a hefty down payment. That's certainly a factor in the decision process. Also, I have my wife to contend with. She thinks an Altima is a perfectly good way to get around. I suppose another option I left out is a nice in-between too: Build a Caterham! I'm kinda liking that one more and more actually.