View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 08:36 AM   #66 (permalink)
autopc25
Base Member

Drives: 2008 C6
autopc25 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonespecial View Post
I've had two Vipers in the past...a 00' RT/10 and an 06' Coupe. While I loved the looks & performance,I have a mediocre lower back and ingress/egress,combined with the harsh ride & heat from the footwells spoiled my ownership.

Also, I realize the Nismo won't be nearly as fast as my Z06(I've ran an 11.41 @126.539 bone stock) in a straight line,but I have other vehicles if I get the hankering for pure straight line acceleration. I'm looking for something I can take into the mountains and have a blast with. While the Z06 was just fine at this,it did lack in the "feel" dept. ,if that makes sense. I'm also considering the Cayman,but if the 370 Nismo gets the job done for ~$30k less,then all the better.

Sorry for the multiple posts,but I didn't see a way to multi quote.

Thanks a lot for the replies.
The PDK Cayman S is a really fun car to drive. I think anyone who test drives the Cayman will prefer it if money is not the primary issue. FYI, Last Sept there was a LOT of Porsche trunk money, you could have gotten 20% off new 2010 Cayman and 911s. I could have bought a $76K Cayman S with Sports Chrono, PDK and other options for $63K. You could save another $2500 by not getting the PDK. For me it was still more then I wanted to spend in this economy.

You also mentioned road feel. The 2008 C6 steering was better then the '07. The Z is better then both and feels more nimble to me. Very few cars are as confidence inspiring and have as good road feel as a Cayman. Placing the Cayman is much easier because you are farther up, closer to the front wheels. Vetts are probably 12" farther back, probably more like 20" in your Vipers? The Z is better then the C6 but not the Cayman in this respect.

Personally, confidence inspiring is probably more important to me then ultimate performance for the street. There is a saying that "driving a slow car fast is more fun then driving a fast car slow". I think that is why the Miata is so popular? The Z is not a slow car by any means, it's a nice balance for the street. It's hard to use more power without more room to run.

Like someone said, change is nice if you have been driving your Z06 for a while. I just bought a Z after a couple of C6s for a change. For the money it's hard to go wrong with a Z. Great car. Test drive both the Nismo back to back with the Cayman to determine if the extra refinement is worth the extra money. You can't make a wrong choice!

Last edited by autopc25; 06-03-2010 at 08:18 AM.
autopc25 is offline   Reply With Quote