View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
6SPD_FTW
Base Member

Drives: 09 370Z Bl 6MT
6SPD_FTW is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlady_Z View Post
Mine threw a "service engine soon" light after some car audio electronics work done on it, and this is what I did to clear it:

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ON (DO NOT depress clutch while you're doing this) and wait 3 seconds.

Repeat #2 procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds:
2. Fully depress then release the accelerator pedal.

3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.

4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)

5. Wait about 10 seconds.

6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it down for more than 10 seconds.
7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).

Turn ignition switch to OFF position

Turn ignition switch to ON position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone.

Rep me if this works for you as it did for me.
Once the SES light starts blinking, it is actually blinking out the DTC fault codes that's causing the SES light to be illuminated. It's a 4 digit code...the long flashes are the first digit (ten flashes for 0) and then it will quickly flash the 2nd digit, pause, quickly flash the 3rd digit, pause, quickly flash 4th digit and pause, repeat. No codes is 0000. So, with this, there is no need to have the codes read by anyone...the car will tell you what the codes are.

You can depress the accelerator pedal to erase codes and reset ECM ANYTIME during the codes being flashed out. So, this is much more than just a way to reset the ECM and SES light.

This is a tricky thing to do and that 7 seconds is VERY difficult to time exactly right. Need a stopwach for sure with this because it is a VERY EXACT process with timing it. Usually takes me 3 or 4 tries to get it right. Turn ignition off for ~10 seconds between tries.

NOW...for the next trick.

At the END of the 7 seconds, you floor the gas pedal and it SHOULD start flashing codes after 10 seconds if you've done it correctly. If you keep the acc pedal to the floor after it starts flashing and just keep it there for about 10 seconds after it starts flashing, the SES light will stop flashing and light up solid. IF you start the car within 3 seconds, that is the idle-air volume relearn. Any kind of intake mods will require you to do this.

To do this, the engine must be at operating temp, ALL accessories OFF, steering wheel pointed straight ahead, vehicle in neutral and no fault codes stored. Just let the engine idle for 2 or 3 minutes then race the engine a few times and verify that it falls smoothly back to a normal idle speed. DONE.

Late,
Trav
6SPD_FTW is offline   Reply With Quote