Thread: Rattles?
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
ZCarGo
Base Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370 CY A7
ZCarGo has a reputation beyond reputeZCarGo has a reputation beyond reputeZCarGo has a reputation beyond reputeZCarGo has a reputation beyond reputeZCarGo has a reputation beyond reputeZCarGo has a reputation beyond reputeZCarGo has a reputation beyond reputeZCarGo has a reputation beyond reputeZCarGo has a reputation beyond reputeZCarGo has a reputation beyond reputeZCarGo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rattles Fixed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin View Post
*bumped* Any update with these rattles? I have the same one and my car goes in next week.
At first, I thought the rattle was in the hatch and it turned out not to be there. The rattle I had was behind the back right panel. I'm pretty sure there were two specific rattles that I insulated for.

The first and most obvious rattle was the control mechanism for locking the plastic exterior cover for the gas cap. The control mechanism was rubbing against the frame which appeared to be the source of the rattle. I stuck an insulated rubber foot (ie. the type of neoprene foot you can get at the home depot near the picture hangers) between the frame and the mechanism which absorbs the vibration.

I would be surprised if others don't hear this rattle as it looks like a fairly standard installation and does not allow for much variation.

I also tracked one other rattle behind the same panel. When I followed the bundled wire, I found one of the clips appeared to have some sticky stuff under it and it was creating a popping noise as I moved the wire bundle around. I just slipped some electrical tape underneath the clip and the issue was solved.

The other squeaks are in both tail lights when you press on them. I saw this same issue described by someone else, but this isn't a noise you hear when you are driving.

I'm working from my 3 week old memory on this, but I'm fairly certain the following description is accurate.

The cover is fairly easy to take off. You first have to take off the very back panel. Disconnect the light (just pop it out and unplug). Then you have to remove a couple pop lock clips. Once you remove these, pull from the bottom first. Then pull the rubber seal back and slip a screwdriver under the edge and pop upwards. There are 4 press fit clips holding the back cover down. Be sure you use a wide flat screwdriver and place it directly next to each clip that your popping up.

To remove the back right panel, you will need to remove one pop clip lock underneath the back panel you just removed. The second pop click lock has the loop on it. Before you remove the back right cover, you'll have to remove the spare and the right styrofoam holder (There's one clip holding the styrofoam piece down).

If you need to take a look under the hatch covers, be sure to remove the screws located under the snap down cover for the retractable cover hooks.

If there's one thing that drives me nuts, it's rattles in a car. Even more so in a $40K new car.

Good Luck with your rattles.

-ZCarGo-
ZCarGo is offline   Reply With Quote